Thursday, October 2, 2008

Grit and Determination

This Tuesday on my way to work, I drove past a neighbor down the street as she pulling weeds in her yard. On Wednesday, I saw her washing clothes in her shed. This neighbor is quite active entertaining her friends for cards, spending time on her computer, tending to her finances and keeping a spotless house and person.

The thing you need to know about this neighbor is that eight years ago she had a devastating stroke that left her paralyzed on her right side. She does all the cleaning, weeding, laundry, cooking, and taking care of her personal habits with the use of her left arm only and sitting in a wheelchair. Other than her daughter and son-in-law helping with shopping and hairdo needs she may have, she does everything by herself.

This woman is my mother and I can't tell you how much I admire her grit and determination to remain independent at the age of 87 and handicapped. Her spirit is ageless and unfettered! Everyone should have a role model like her.

No comments: